749 Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalion


18 September 1944: Battery D moved to Eijsden, being the first Battalion unit to operate in Holland.


19 September 1944: Two FW190's approached Battery D position. The lead plane was shot down, the pilot parachuting down, landing in Battery D position and being taken prisoner. The second FW 190 buzzed the position strafing it, but was driven off by the fire from Battery D's machine guns then was seen to dive and disappear behind  a ridge. The wreckage of the first plane was located.


6 October 1944: Both Batteries c and D had a number of engagements resulting in a shared award Cat I on a JU 88 engaged by both batteries, direct hits being obtained and the plane blowing up in the air.


7 October 1944: Battery D secured an approved Cat.1 claim on an ME110.


24 October 1944: Headquarters Battery, Battery C and Battery D were attached to  Ninth US Army. 


25 October 1944:  Headquarters Battery moved to Maastricht.


28 October 1944: Headquarters Battery, Batteries C and D attached to 55th AAA Brigade.


18 December 1944: A direct attack was made on Battery D position. Battery D had been in this position at Eijsden, Holland, and fired many engagements from there. Five containers of anti-personnel fragmentation bombs were dropped. The containers themselves landed in the area of the gun positions but the bombs themsleves made a wide swath through a couple of fields just beyond Battery D positions. Approximately 1225 individual fragmentations bombs were dropped.

During the same day, Battery C engaged many targets and was also strafed, and a light demolitation bomb was dropped on the position.


Both batteries had many engagements during the 18th of December, resulting in claims for 3 Cat II for battery D and 2 Cat I and 1 Cat II by Battery C. Finally approved were 2 Cat I for Battery C. No decision was ever reached in regard to two of Battery D's claims for Cat II.

The enemy air activity continued through the early hours of 19 December 1944, resulting in three more Cat II claims by Battery D, but these were also not confirmed.


Both the Batteries did so much firing the night of December 18 and 19, 1044, that they ran low on ammunition. Despite widespread strafing attacks along the roads, Headquarters Battery drew ammunition during the night and succeeded in replenshing the ammunition supply of both batteries.


26 December 1944: Both batteries fired a number of engagements resulting in approved claims for two Cat II and one Cat I for Battery C.


During 31 December through 1 January 1945, Batteries C and D fired 22 engagements.


10 January 1945: Headquarters Battery moved to Dalhem, Belgium, Battery C moved about 1000yards South their position to Wonck, Belgium, Battery D moved to a location just East of Vise, near Berneau, Belgium.


1 March 1945: Headquarters Battery moved back to Maastricht, Holland, Battery C moved into a position on the Northwest outskirts of Maastricht, and Battery D moved  into a position at Heer, Holland, just South-east of Maastricht.


 11 March 1945: The Battery became operational in Germany for the first time.